This vial contains simulated moon dust. It was engineered to be chemically and mechanically identical to the surface of ancient volcanic plains on the Moon, called maria.
The particle size and composition was designed to match that of the samples returned from the lunar mare during the Apollo missions. This sample was produced by the non-profit ExolithLab at the University of Central Florida. Your purchase will directly support further research and development of their simulant database.
You may also be interested in our Martian Simulant.
Chemical composition by weight:
- 42.81% silicates (SiO2)
- 18.89% magnesium oxide (MgO)
- 14.13% aluminium oxide (Al2O3)
- 7.87% iron oxide (FeOT)
- 5.94% calcium oxide (CaO)
- 4.92% sodium oxide (Na2O)
- 4.62% titanium oxide (TiO2)
- 0.57% potassium oxide (K2O)
- 0.44% phosphorus pentoxide (P2O5)
- 0.21% chromium oxide (Cr2O3)
- 0.15% manganese oxide (MnO)
- 0.11% sulfur trioxide (SO3)